September 29 2020 – Weavers Ground
Fleece is an alternative to wool. It is 100% synthetic thus non-allergenic and animal cruelty-free. Fleece provides the same level of insulation as wool, but it is much softer and lighter than wool. Better yet, fleece is also easy-care relative to wool, which can only be hand washed or dry cleaned.
How is fleece made?
Fleece fabric is made by knitting twisted yarns, and then brushing the fabric surface to roughen it up creating a soft and fuzzy surface.
The yarn can be made of cotton or polyester or a blend of the two.
Is cotton (blend) fleece or polyester fleece better?
Both types of fleece are equally soft, but polyester fleece has the added benefits of a shinier appearance and does a better job of repelling moisture.
What are the types of 100% polyester fleece?
Despite being manufactured by the same material, there are different types of polyester fleece manufactured by different processing techniques. Here are the 3 most common types used in blankets:
1. Polar fleece: a thinner and less moisture-wicking kind of fleece compared to the other types of fleece. It is however still good lining for garments and is very economical.
2. Sherpa fleece: an extra fluffy fleece. Its name comes from its resemblance to the wool-lined clothing worn by the indigenous people in Nepal and the Himalayas. It is commonly used to line garments for added warmth.
3. Coral fleece: a thicker and nicer to the touch kind of fleece compared to polar fleece. It is in general more expensive than polar fleece, but it is also more durable as it does not really pill after long use and multiple washing.
4. PV fleece: the finest kind of fleece among all. It has all the benefits of coral fleece, and is usually used in higher class products to mimic real fur products. It is also the most expensive among all kinds of fleece listed here.
What is "microfiber"?
Microfiber is a synthetic fiber finer than a strand of silk. Most kinds of fleece blankets nowadays are made of microfiber yarns, including all the ones that we sell here. These microfiber fleeces are soft and warm as wool, yet are also very light and breathable.
How to care for fleece?
- Since polyester would melt on high heat, never wash or dry it under temperature higher than 30 degrees Celsius or 86 degrees Fahrenheit. And do not iron.
- Never use fabric softener as it will make the furry fibers stick together thus lose the soft texture.
- Do not wash fleece with lint producing garments like towels, as static electricity in fleece will attract lint like magnet.
- Better to wash all fleece garments together or alone rather than with other fabrics in general.
How to determine the quality of a polyester fleece blanket?
For the same kind of fleece, the easiest way to determine their qualities is by comparing their "fleece weights", which are usually denoted in GSM (gram per square meter) or oz/yd2. The larger the number, the thicker is the fabric and greater the warmth it gives. A 280-300GSM fleece is in general considered heavyweight.
Tagged: The Blanket Department